Friday, January 7, 2011

Mini Movie Marathon - Numero Uno, 19 Feb 2011

I brought in the New Year in the most fabulous fashion - on a beach in the Coromandel, surrounded by awesome people I love, fireworks going off in the distance and against the light someone blowing big bubbles. It was wicked! I also got four days off work to enjoy with my family and some friends and ate and drank some yummo things.
 
Along with eating I also watched a few movies; Lolita (Jeremy Irons version - so creepy!), The Fantastic Mr Fox (just as funny as at the movies) and Kavita finally got around to watching Avatar and fell in love with the blue people and the flowers.
 
I also started to plan my first mini movie marathon. You should note the word "mini" in here because with work and my "old age" I cannot fathom doing a proper 24 hour movie marathon without a recovery day (or maybe I am afraid of falling asleep as the host of my own marathon?? - how embarrassing!), so it'll be a mini one of 4-5 movies from the list.
 
I have attended a few 24 hour movie marathons - the last two Incredibly Strange movie marathons at the Hollywood theatre (go Ant Timpson!) and the preparation for these marathons is incredible. You have to find a nice bean bag, blanket, pillow, get your food, drinks and gavascon organised and pace your fresh air breaks and make sure you take deodarant so you're not one of the extremely smelly people that tend to emerge 24 hours later. So whilst you have an unbeatable experience and see some amazing movies there can be some exhausting downsides that are avoided with a mini-marathon.
 
Our lounge is not vast so there will be beanbags if lots of people come (I hope so!) and lots of snacks and V provided and a heavy dose of cult movies. If it's a success I am sure more will follow throughout the year.
 
Unfortunately, not everyone I love lives in Auckland so I've suggested that anyone who can't come over on the night do their own "virtual marathon" - whether you watch 1 or all 5 of the movies from the comfort of your own home, with or without others. So I'll publish the movies in advance of the marathon so if you're not in Auckland you can find them, watch along too and have fun comments with us afterwards.
 
Mini marathon date: Saturday 19th February 2011 7pm @ Nikki's.
(Be there or be square!)
 
Movies to be announced by 21 January (that should give you heaps of time to source them!)
 
Tips for hosting a marathon:
  • Make sure you have all the DVDs in advance of the marathon
  • Have a good sized viewing screen if there's more than 2 of you (am lucky enough to have a 40" tele)
  • Get people to bring beanbags if you don't have enough couch space (or if you're feeling really generous seek them out and borrow them yourself)
  • Provide snacks (I'll be making lots of home baked goodness - am thinking marshmallow slice, caramel popcorn, some spicey Indian snacks and other small things that can go in mouths easily without too much rustling - maybe I should make everyone party bags??)
  • Provide liquid
  • Put on one of those automatic air-freshners - I love big gatherings of people, but all sitting for ages in one space can be funky
  • Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This week am planning on watching The Room, and am going to try and make it to the Auckland screening next week @ the Academy (Friday 14th @ 10.30pm)... apparently I should be saving up my plastic spoons?

No comments:

Post a Comment