Monday, January 31, 2011

The Blues Brothers - 1980

My second Fatso package arrived: The Blues Brothers, Vanishing Point & Wings of Desire were in it. Very exciting.

As seems to be my Sunday tradition, after two days of house hunting (and I was looking for places where I could envisage the couch and the TV for good movie watching sessions) I snuggled down and watched The Blues Brothers this Sunday avo... where have I been hiding? I can't believe I have never seen The Blues Brothers, it rocks and is fricken awesome!

Starring John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd (who also co-wrote it - who knew?) and a whole host of cameos (Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Twiggy, Carrie Fischer...) this was 1980's blues rocking jive.

Basically, Jake Blues (Belushi) gets released from prison, Elwood Blues (Aykroyd) is there to meet him and off they go to reform their blues band to raise money for an orphanage that is about to get closed down. Of course, with some slapstick comedy they get into trouble wherever they go which means by the time the band performs the police, local nazi party and others are chasing closely behind them, each trying to get their revenge and capture of the brothers who won't be stopped til they've raised the money for the children (how sweet!). This leads to one of the best police/car chases everywhere - I wonder if they used toy cars or real cars... it'd be fun to crash lots of toy cars bam bam bam! What's funny is that Aykroyd is obviously a lot fitter than Belushi because his dance moves are a lot sharper... it's 4 years prior to Ghostbusters which I have already wanted to watch on the big screen. At some points you do want to get up and sing/jive along and I dare you to!

I haven't seen Blues Brothers 2000, but I'm now seriously considering it... what do you think?

Rent movies mentioned in this blog from Fatso here ---->
Ghostbusters
The Blues Brothers
Blues Brothers 2000
Wings of Desire
Vanishing Point

Remember, you can a free three week trial from Fatso if you use the promo-code FATSO101.

No comments:

Post a Comment