Thursday, January 13, 2011

Brick - 2005

Last night, after the excitement of finding out about Fatso, I came home to unwind and watch a movie. That movie was Brick starring the most amazing Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

I actually saw Brick at the movies at the NZFF at the Embassy in Wellington. It was the year my friend Anna came back from the States, we were both house sitting and got 10+ tickets to movies (although this is by no means a lot of movies for a film fest, as I know dedicated movie watchers who take annual leave each year the film festival is on to go to the festival) and Brick was one of the movies. I think we may have also seen Mysterious Skin and had a double Gordon-Levitt dose.

Brick is an awesome movie, the dialogue is quick and HARDBOIL. It's set in a high school, there's a mystery but it's shot and put together in a very sharp, witty way that expects you to be smart as a viewer. Compared to The Room, this was a refreshing change.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt a lot. He was cool in 3rd Rock From The Sun, loved him in Brick and Mysterious Skin, could watch (500) Days of Summer over and over and I thoroughly enjoyed Inception the one time I watched it at the movies. I like that the movies are often a little edgy and that he can play more than one character. His character in Brick is pretty cool, you really do expect him to smoke a lot of cigarettes, drink a lot of coffee and simmer behind a police desk but underneath it all he's a teenage guy trying to find out what's happened to the girl he loved.

Oh, and if you can't follow the dialogue (kinda reminiscent of the dialogue in A Clockwork Orange), don't worry the movie's well shot enough that the pictures tell a story too.

4 movies down, 97 to go

Tonight I start queueing movies to watch in my Fatso basket. Very exciting. I love snail mail and it'll be great to open up the packages and see what movie surprises are waiting inside! Thanks Fatso!

No comments:

Post a Comment