Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reefer Madness - 1938, USA

I've been in Wellington for the holiday period (trying to head home now but Wgtn did not like that and we are delayed at the terminal for now...), and one of the great things about Welly is hanging out with the whanau. One such whanau member is my brother Dave, the true movie buff with a serious movie collection (he has 25 of the 101 cult movies - written on an envelope currently living in my handbag. Dave's onboard with my challenge so yesterday we settled down to watch Reefer Madness on Dad's 50 inch plasma on the lazyboy couch. (That couch is very cool and the ultimate movie watching couch - it's a three seater, and the middle seat folds down for a drink/food holder and the two seats on either side recline and the footrest pops out!!! Luxury!)

I will tell you two things about our viewing:
1. We were not in any way, shape or form wasted (it's a bit of cult following with stoners)
2. We watched it with the colour wash, so whilst it was the original it wasn't in it's exact original black n white format

You should watch this movie, wasted or not, it's hillarious - especially if you get the DVD with the special feature with Grandpa's Pot Smoking guide... advocating the use of weed for all elderly (he's been smoking it for over 30 years for his "glaucoma") and sickly. 

I know the movie was made to put young people off weed, and if I'd watched it in 1938 I definitely would have been put off and thought that weed would make me into a horny, murderous bastard who would jitter and have ridiculous withdrawal symptoms in between each reefer... I think they might have mistaken weed for speed, although at the start they do show bricks and bricks of cocaine and heroin and say weed is a much worse drug than them both combined (I guess Coco Pops and DVDs hadn't been invented - am sure weed gives those guys some income every year!)... I also believe that weed wasn't illegal at that stage in the States and they were trying to make it as evil and illegal as possible.

Anyway, I cannot believe I haven't seen this movie before!

No comments:

Post a Comment